Thursday, April 9, 2009

Regarding proper attire for a small town redneck Irish "sports bar" that is located in a basement.

When I was hired for Than's I was told that any shirt was acceptable as long as it wasn't "inappropriate". She suggested beer shirts etc. So Anna and I went to Kohl's, where I bought several shirts including a Japanese Star Wars IV poster, the Ghostbusters logo, a guitar with naval stars and skulls, and this weird ribcage design. I also bought a crappy "I (shamrock symbol) (beer symbol)" for St Patrick's Day.

I wore all of these shirts at work with no problem. A few customers laughed about my Ghostbusters shirt so I thought it was cool. A few weeks went by, and one night we were there just drinking and Christine and Joe were running the bar.

I happened to be outside smoking at the same time as Christine, wearing my ribcage shirt. She glanced at it (although it's hard to tell what she's looking at sometimes because she has a googly eye) and said "I hope you weren't planning on wearing that to work tomorrow".

"No, I wasn't, why?"

"It's not appropriate. Neither are Ghostbusters, or sci-fi, or star trek or star wars or anything like that."

"Umm, what's wrong with Star Wars?"

"You have to look like an adult behind the bar. Don't you have any other shirts?"

"Well I have a green shirt that says "I shamrock beer""

"Yeah! That's perfect!"

...

She claimed that it's not staff that's complaining, but customers. I can't think that any of the old alcoholic regulars would honestly give a SHIT enough to say something. But now I wear that stupid shirt every day I work (which is only twice a week 6 hours at a time).

Vaughn, the cook (who is awesome, has been working there for a long time and doesnt really care for these owners, who just took over in October of 08), and I were having a boss bitchfest the other day and I mentioned the shirts.

Me: "Look like an adult? It's not like I'm back there wearing a Spongbob Squarepants shirt or anything"

V: "I bet it would be okay if Spongebob was drinking a beer and smoking a joint."

Vaughn is awesome.

1 comment:

  1. How is a shirt saying you love drinking beer any less childish than a Star Wars shirt?

    ReplyDelete