Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The first day at work was interesting.

I arrived at 9am and talked to the owner Rick for about ten minutes, where he told me that my goal was to talk to at least one customer by the end of the day. I asked if I would be watching training videos, or getting a training talk, or what. He didn't know.

They just hired a new sales manager, Michael, and it was also his first day. He's been in the car business for 23 years, but isn't familiar with how the Car Store runs things. So it was a bit confusing for both of us. I basically sat at my new desk and read the employee handbook and pamphlets all day, waiting for someone to actually show me what the hell I'm supposed to do.

Later that afternoon Anna's co-worker and our mutual friend, Trixie, called me and said she saw our website and wanted to come look at a 2000 Saab we had in the used section. I told her that someone else had looked at it earlier and wanted to buy it, but her father wouldn't co-sign. Also, some guy was coming in at 5 to take a look.

Trixie is extremely competitive in all aspects of her life. She has to WIN. She would never let someone else buy a car that she wanted before she could take a look. So she came in 20 minutes later with Anna in tow. I showed them the car, very awkwardly and with very little knowledge (because nobody fucking TRAINED me), and we took it for a test drive. She loved it's moon/sun roof, the radio controls in the steering wheel, and especially the little hidden robot cupholder.

So we got her at the table in my "office", and one of the other salesmen, Pete, came over to help me out. He basically ran me through every step of the process, and handled Trixie when we had to do some salesman stuff like discussing financing and the price. I'm really glad he was so willing to help, because she's buying the car once they have a chance to talk to the bank today!

So first day, no training, never been in car sales before.

I sold a car.

7 comments:

  1. sounds like you're a regular phil spady...now all you need is a giant american flag

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about the natural, i really need some fucking training before i even talk to a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the best car salesman would be a marriage counsellor.

    ReplyDelete