Monday, April 6, 2009

Recent Developments

Kyle Crawford recommended I start this, because apparently he and possibly others are interested in what I have been up to since my arrival in Vermont. So this first post is dedicated to Kyle.

I would rather save the space for recent events, rather than bore you with page after page of the minute details of the past four months. I assure you that, unfortunately, there isn't much to say. K-Mart fucked me over and I havent been able to secure a full time job, despite contracting carpal tunnel through piles and piles of applications. Three weeks ago on a Friday we were at Than Wheeler's Tavern, the chosen drinking establishment for the theater people. After several Sailor Jerry's and Cokes, I overheard the owners Joe and Christine talking about how they wanted to find someone to work there part-time.

So I sidled up to the bar and they asked that I come back when I was sober. I did, and got the job: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays from 10am-4pm as a bartender and server. I was trained the following Monday and began my adventure.

The funny thing about working during the day at a bar is that the vast majority of your clientele is made up of old alcoholic regulars, with the occasional surprise newbie. A fixture of Than's is Earl, a crotchety old millionaire who spends every day of his life from 11am to 3 or 4 at Than's and the other bars downtown. Dewar's scotch and water is his drink of choice, and he has a seat at the bar that is only for Earl. Sit there, and you will face his wrath. He controls the TV on that end of the bar and often turns the volume up so loud that you can't have a conversation at the other end. He tips in scratch cards, two $2 tickets every day. Most days I don't get a tip from him. My best tip was a 9 dollar winner.

There is more to say about Than's in the future, but I will leave it at that for now. This is just a taste, a preview, an amuse-bouche if you will. In subsequent installments we will further explore the characters that frequent Than's, including the staff and owners. I will also address our recent walks through the large cemetary down the street from our house (This is a village that was founded in 1761), as well as last night's barbecue party in which we had a campfire in our backyard.

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment