Friday, April 29, 2011

Conversation overheard at Stinson's Market in Hanover

3 young college students who seem a bit nerdy/hipsterish are chattering away about nothing. I'm looming behind them like a creepy giant in my smelly work clothes. Next to them are two stacks of beer cases, which an older (but still college age) black man is adding stuff to.

At first they seem to know him, but as the conversation unfolded, I'm not entirely sure. I know one thing for sure: when they asked if he wanted to go first since he had been there first, he declined. At that point we all had the same thought.

*He's British!*

Frumpy girl: "Getting ready for a frat party?"

Black British Dude: "No, this is for some friends and me"

FG: "You guys must like to drink!"

BBD: "It's for the weekend...hopefully"

FG: "Did you watch the royal wedding?"

BBD: *laughs* "No, no. I think Americans care about the royal wedding much more than British people."

FG: "Really? I thought it was a big deal for your country."

Me: *stares at the cigar case, literally inches from these people as they talk, trying not to give myself away*

BBD: "Well you really have to be of a certain age to care about the royal family. Most people don't."

Ditsy Tall Girl: "I watched part of it, but he's so ugly!"

BBD: ...

DTG: "And she's so random!"

BBD: "...random? What do you mean?"

FG: "She thinks Kate is random."

DTG: "Because she's I dunno just some girl...like a (in the shittiest British accent) 'commoner'."

BBD: "Well her family certainly isn't what we consider middle class. Her parents are millionaires."

At this point I tuned out as the conversation petered out into them asking him a few icebreaker college questions. He mentioned something about rugby playoffs and shit. Then I bought some grape cigarillos and went on my way. So random!

No comments:

Post a Comment